Krakow is famous for various tourist attractions. Within only 10 minutes walk from our apartments there is one of the most recognized places in Krakow – Main Square.
Another must see place in Krakow which is about 20 minutes walk from Clemens Apartments is Wawel Royal Castle.
Wawel Royal Castle was a centre of Polish statehood for years. Nowadays, visiting former royal residence is a fascinating journey into Polish history, times of both splendor and failure. Wawel Royal Castle is situated on Wawel Hill, which is majestic jura limestone rising on the left bank of Vistula river (Polish: Wisła) in the very centre of Krakow. Wawel Royal Castle and Wawel Hill belong to the most historically and culturally significant places in Poland. Being for centuries the seat of Polish kings and a statehood symbol, in 1930 it became one of the most important museums in Poland with a collection of paintings, graphics, sculptures, fabrics, jewellery, militaria, porcelain and furniture. There are famous tapestries of Sigismund Augustus (Polish: Zygmunt August) and splendid Italian Renaissance paintings from the collection of Karolina Lanckorońska. Wawel collections of Eastern art include the largest selection of tents in Europe. Also, it is art conservation centre. Permanent exhibitions present the design of Renaissance and Baroque rooms. Every year over a million of tourists sees the permanent exhibitions in the Castle and twice as many visits the Hill. There are also a lot of concerts of symphonic and chamber music held on Wawel Royal Castle as well as opera performances and court dance shows.
The Altarpiece by Veit Stoss
Krakow Main Square is one of the biggest squares in Europe (200 m x 200 m). It was designed in 1257 during locating Krakow under Magdeburg law. First the square was used for the commercial purpose, later it performed also administrative and judicial function. Currently it is the largest medieval European square and the centre of social life. There are organized holiday markets, Easter markets, various festivals and concerts. Among events held every year there are the finale of the Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity, International Festival of Street Theatre, New Year’s Party, student carnivals and the enthronement of the King of the Marksman’s Association (Polish: Bractwo Kurkowe).
Local tourist attractions
We would like to recommend the following tourist attractions which are in the nearest neighbourhood of Clemens Apartments (within 300 m). Each of them is within Guests reach and we encourage you to read a few words about their history.
House under the Spider
, Karmelicka 35
Distance: 130 m from apartments 1&2, 150 m from ap.3.
It is the second house of architect Teodor Talowski, built in 1889 and based on his own design. The house reflects the first phase of Talowski work, characterized by asymmetry, expression and extensive ornamentation. In 2000 the elevation of the house was renovated. It is a four-storey building made of clinker brick, overburnt bricks and standard bricks, in framings of windows, doors and the top of stone decoration. The elevation of this lovely house looks like historic walls due to bricks which stick out of the wall, which was an idea of the architect. Additional elements are channels to the vines which spreads on the elevation and cannonballs built in the façade. There is five-axis elevation from Karmelicka street. At the top there is round wind girder with the symbol of the house – a spider in net. There is also a date of the construction below with an image of the sun and a sundial. Also, there are the following inscriptions on the facade: FECIT THEODORUS TALOWSKI (Made by Teodor Talowski) and SI DEUS NOBISCUM QUI CONTRA NOS (If God is with us, then who can be against us). Two axes from the South are finished with stairs. The rest of the elevation is finished with battlement and attic. There is a lantern in the corner with a nasal helmet which covers the tower in the corner.
House with former electrical substation
, Adama Asnyka 12
Distance: 160 m from apartments 1&2, 300 m from ap.3.
A very interesting piece of architecture – a historical house with former electrical substation built in 1908–1910.
Tadeusz Stryjeński Palace
, Stefana Batorego 12
Distance: 40 m from apartments 1&2, 190 m from ap.3.
A historical palace built in 1882–1883 called “Willa Pod Stańczykiem” which was designed by a famous Krakowian architect Tadeusz Stryjeński as a place for him to live. The name “Pod Stańczykiem” was given by the architect himself who belonged to the political group of Stańczycy (a group of Krakowian conservatists). The palace comprises the main building and two wings: left and right. The left side on the floor is decorated with considerable bay window with the sculpture of Stańczyk dated 1886. The building is distinguished by stunning stained glass of Stanisław Wyspiański. In the garden-park there is a workplace which belonged to Tadeusz Stryjeński. Another pavilion with octagonal tower was built in 1884 and was connected to the main building via gallery in 1892. Currently it seats the Institute of Pedagogy and Department of Jewish Studies of Jagiellonian University.
The Pokutyńscy Palace
, Karmelicka 29
Distance: 140 m from apartments 1&2, 160 m from ap.3.
The Pokutyńscy Palace was built in 1875–1877 and designed by Filip Pokutyński, an outstanding architect whose designs were based mostly on Neo-Renaissance style. Pokutyński was the precursor of architectural drawings of Krakow monuments. The Palace was resided and visited by such remarkable personalities of Krakow as Jacek Malczewski with his wife Maria and Jan Matejko, who was visiting his sisters residing in the Palace. After the war the Palace fell into decay, but nowadays its glory attracts thousands of Krakowians and tourists.
, Stefana Batorego 14
Distance: 40 m from apartments 1&2, 180 m from ap.3.
An impressive historic villa with a garden created in 1884–1885 and designed by Tadeusz Stryjeński. There is stained glass by Stanisław Wyspiański in the villa.
Town house no. 6
, Stefana Batorego 6
Distance: 70 m from apartments 1&2, 200 m from ap.3.
This town house, designed by Zygmunt Hendel, was at the end of XIX century a place of residence and creativity for the writer Ignacy Maciejowski, who used the pseudonym Sewer. It was a meeting place for afternoon tea for Adam Asnyk, Stanisław Wyspiański, Władysław Reymont, Tadeusz Miciński, Włodzimierz Tetmajer, Kazimierz Przerwa-Tetmajer, Jacek Malczewski, Leon Wyczółkowski, Artur Górski. This hospitable home was run by Mrs Marta Maciejowska and is praised by Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński in some pieces of his work, for instance “Znaszli ten kraj?”.